Saturday, March 15, 2008

This week in review

We have a French bakery in Minocqua that is quite amazing. I treat myself once every couple of months to a sandwich on their fresh baked crunchy baguettes. This week, we ran out of lunch meat and I wasn't feeling the PB&J so I decided it was time to hit up the frenchies for le sandwich since I was going to be in the area anyway.

I know every time I go in that if there is even one other person at the restaurant I am in for a little wait because the owners are not fluent in english and I am not fluent in French. However, that gives me time to drool over the chocolate croissants, tarts and turnovers in the pastry case. When I walked in there were 8 people already there and the french guy looked like he was going to have a brain aneurysm. He took their orders and asked me what I wanted and I said "one parisian to go." A parisian is a baguette with butter, ham, swiss cheese and these beautiful, crunchy little sweet gherkins. He mumbled something in Frenchglish that sounded like "no soup for you" and walked away. I wasn't sure if I was going to get my sandwich or not so I just stood there because I really wanted it. After a few minutes I suggested that I could come back and pick it up when he wasn't so busy and he nodded and looked relieved.

So I left and walked around for 10 minutes and came back and he jumped up and started apologizing because he had forgotten to make my sandwich. Two minutes and $5.80 later I had my parisian and the wait was well worth it. That was the most exciting thing that happened to me this week. For those of you that insist that we update the blog all the time...hope you are entertained. ha ha.

On another note... Mika experienced her first horses yesterday. She was totally freaked out and growled, was super scared and tried to run away but I had her on a leash so she couldn't. Horses are big.

She also got into some compost and had what I think was her first really stinky gas. She looked all around after she farted and was confused. I told her, "yes that came out of you and it smells really bad". Then she just looked proud. That is what some rotting tomatoes will get you.

No comments: