Scammons lagoon was named after Charles Melville Scammons who discovered the lagoon where grey whales return every winter to have babies. He nearly slaughtered them all, but fortunately for us this was a long time ago and the whales have made a remarkable comeback. We boarded the pangas (little fiberglass fishing boats) and were taken out to where the whales where swimming around. We got our money´s worth. At one time there were whales all around us. We even got to see a little mating. A few times the whales got curious as to what was driving around them and came closer to get a peek. This is when we had our chances to pet them and be able to see just how massive they were.
Right now we are at San Ignacio, which is a neat little desert oasis/cathedral/palm tree grove and will continue on to the Sea of Cortez. Our plan is to camp near Mulege tonight.
Wednesday, February 16, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Just read your last two entries. You two are having some real adventures but I think I would rather read about yours than be with you. Your grandma agrees.Fun to keep up with your adventures. The whale thing sounded wonderful.
Pat and I got stirring this morning at about 2:30 PM. 'Twas a snowy afternoon in Madison, so we decided to go cross-counrty skiing around the neighborhood. We returned via Monona, where we saw a peculiar dark spot on the horizon. Upon reaching the dark destination, we beheld a small gathering of used Christmas trees... a throng of about a baker's dozen. With cryptic notes about embracing depression and raccoons. I used to radio track raccons, so I could relate. That's the news from Madison, I hope y'alls are still speaking to one another.
-Joe aka Ishmael
Post a Comment